I am guilty that sometimes our family are being malnutrition trapped. I didn’t realized such things like those. My boys are petite and thin. Nasa genes namin ang payat sa pagkabata kahit nakain ng tama sa oras and I make sure na healthy naman yet it’s very important to know na hindi dahil sapat ay healthy na lahat. May tamang sukat sa when it comes to portioned meals.
And because breakfast is a very important meal of the day let’s not skip any of it especially for our children. Lalo na if you are a rice person, they say anything sobra is not good for our body. ‘Wag tayong maging “unlirice” family. You’ll see why below.
Meron palang tinatawag na, “puro carbs and mababa sa protein” thought of I am giving enough kasi I am following the food pyramid somehow. Thankful sa Ajinomoto Community because they are here to help solve the concerns of every Filipino family.
Filipino family facing underweight and overweight
Yes for more than 20 year we are facing such dilemna. The World Health Organization (WHO) defined this phenomenon as the “Double Burden of Malnutrition” or the“prevalence of both under nutrition and overweight in the same community, nation, or region.”
Philippine Government Solution
Pinggang Pinoy®, an easy-to-understand food guide showing proper food group portioning per-meal basis was launched in 2014 and also reflects the principles of moderation, variety and balance or called (MoVaBa) to promote healthier eating habits. Hoping that this could solve the problem.
Solving Double Burden’s of Malnutrition
And because this is a long term concern, upon giving the solution to solve the Philippines’ Double Burden of Malnutrition, it should be a collaborative effort between the public and private sectorsas it is not an easy feat. In line with this, Ajinomoto Philippines Corporation partnered with government agencies to conduct education programs to raise awareness and promote the practice of Pinggang Pinoy® in malnutrition hotspots, where incidences of Double Burden Malnutrition are high. This training was given to homemakers/mothers who have malnourished (underweight, stunting, wasting, overweight and obese) school-aged children”.
The Final Result
“The pilot run resulted to improvements of the knowledge & attitudes of households related to the practice of PinggangPinoy® within target areas. However, behavior changes towards healthier eating habits remains to be a challenge. The program uncovered a number #MalnutritionTraps that some Pinoy households easily fall into”.
“The following#MalnutritionTraps provide a picture of how unhealthy eatinghabits may lead to Double Burden of Malnutrition”.
1. Overconsumption of carbohydrates: Voracious rice eaters can easily fill half of their plates with rice. Others have pandesal & noodles as regular meal deprived of other nutrients derived from a well-balanced meal.
2. Under consumption of vegetables and/fruits: It is common for some to be content with rice & meat to satisfy their hunger and skip/take insufficient amount of vegetables/fruits. Fact is, the variety of colors found in Glow foods are important sources of vitamins & minerals to sustain our energy & keep us from getting sick.
3. Overconsumption of protein: Typical Filipino “SILOG” mealsinclude double serving of proteins (e.g. Tapa+Itlog, Tocino+Itlog, Longanisa+Itlog, Bangus+Itlog). Eating different kinds of protein is fine for as long as they are taken in moderation. We must also avoid protein dishes served high in fat, cholesterol and sodium.
More stories about #MalnutritionTraps can be referenced from these documentary videos.
And because moms are the busiest person, we sometimes neglect to check if the meals we are preparing are properly portioned for our kids. Glad to share that Ajinomoto’s Culinary Nutrition Team prepared easy to do, healthy, delicious yet affordable meal for our family. Say for a family of 5, it will only cost you 250/day. This is to help many Filipino families be saved from #MalnutritionTraps.
PinggangPinoy® Recipes are downloadable through https://bit.ly/2HIsfkj.
Want to hear and know more about Mag-Pinggang Pinoy®? visit www.ajinomoto.com.ph and facebook.com/CookmunitybyAjinomotoPH.
The Ajinomoto Group is a global leader in amino acids thanks to its advanced bioscience and fine chemical technologies. Its products cover a range of fields such as seasonings, processed foods, beverages, amino acids, pharmaceuticals, and chemicals.
Since discovering “umami” (the fifth basic taste, created by glutamic acid, a type of amino acid) in 1908, we have been scientifically pursuing the possibilities of amino acids, and supporting the healthy lives of people all around the world. Based on our corporate message “Eat Well, Live Well” we aim for further growth and continuous contribution to greater wellness for people by creating value with communities and society.
The Ajinomoto Group has offices in 35 countries and regions, and sells products in more than 130 countries and regions. Its sales were 1.1502 trillion yen (10.3 billion U.S. dollars) in fiscal year 2017. To learn more, visit https://www.ajinomoto.com/.
Latest posts by Mommy Heart (see all)
- Hassle-free of Getting your Registry Documents through PSA (NSO) Helpline - June 11, 2022
- A delightful and techy Holiday experience at SM ChristmaSaya Village - November 28, 2021
- The Grand Opening of SM City Grand Central - November 28, 2021